Thursday, June 17, 2010

Weeknight Madness ...



OK, just so everyone understands this entry, let give you some insight on myself. I am a career musician, I have spent most of my adult life playing, performing and recording music which eventually lead me to teaching music on a professional level. Soon after meeting my wife who is a professional dance teacher, we decided to open our own music and dance school and work for ourselves doing what we love. Fast forward ten years and that brings me to today's topic. Its the end of our school year and things are hectic with last minute recital preparations and so on, so I get a phone call that one of our dance teachers needs me to edit one of her songs tonight. The recital is this weekend ...... Oh well it will have wait until after dinner. Now in my household there is no set dinner time, due to our crazy schedules and being business owners, were lucky if we eat before 8:00 PM.
So I invite our dance instructor to join us for dinner and then we will proceed with editing her music. As we are eating, she complements me on dinner and proceeds to tell me that she wishes that her family cooked. Her mom is a good baker, but no one in her family cooks which started the discussion about fast food,and how so many people in our society depend on the "Quick Fix" for sustenance as opposed to cooking something yourself and feeling good about creating a healthy meal. For example ... The meal that I prepared for four people took me less than 45 minutes from prep to table, most people spend more than an hour diddling around on a social networking site and neglect the fact that you should eat a well rounded meal. So I encourage all of you to get in your kitchen and try to be creative or follow a recipe to the letter, but most importantly cook something.




Dan

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you Dan. Americans rely on the "quick fix" which leads to regret. Three months later and twenty pounds heavier, people wonder what happened. All it takes is a little bit of effort and you will see the difference. A few months ago Dan taught me how to prepare my dinner for the week by using different kinds of marinades and spices on chicken. What a difference! A little bit of effort does go a long way. My roommates come home and always compliment the yummy smell coming from the kitchen. This works well for the single working male/female or the lazy unemployed.

    ReplyDelete