Monday, March 25, 2013

Eataly / Les Halles

Part 1 Eataly.

 There is nothing like a great meal at a highly acclaimed restaurant, or a nice snack and outstanding wines in a unique Italian market in the middle of Manhattan. These are the experiences that I try to make time for in my life. Sure I could go out to a local restaurant and celebrate my birthday with family and friends, but this year I dragged them with me to one of my favorite places in NYC and a restaurant that I have wanted to go to for a very long time but never had the opportunity until now. First we went to Eataly for snacks/wine and some shopping. Eataly is a slice of heaven here on earth as far as I am concerned. The fact that you can do everything from have a snack or a meal, get groceries, fish, meats, and fresh pasta while walking around with a glass of wine is uniquely cool, and very Euorpean. They offer the best of Italian imports that you really cant find anywhere else. Now I know that I could probably order any of those things online, but I like to see the product, inspect it, read the label, and discover things that I have never tried before. For example ...I found a "brown" Canaroli rice that I cant wait to make a Risotto with.

 

 Next we decided to grab a snack at "La Piazza". A beautiful etoneca with standing tables that offers so

 many tasty things to snack on. There are so many great things to choose from, but my favorite thing there is the "Grande Piatto Misto Di Salumi". A variety of cured meats, amazing cheeses, flavored honey's and fresh bread that will discourage anyone to buy salami in a plastic container ever again. The only thing that made this snack better was the wine. A glass or two of the Barolo Serralunga and you will forget that your in New York City. I know that its a bit pricy for a glass, but I firmly belive that life is to short to drink shitty wine.

 This snack was followed up by probably the best gelato I have ever had. In the market area, there are so many cool imported spreads, preserves, and honey's, as well as the housemade gelato. If you go to Eataly you shouldnt leave without tasting this amazing treat. My favorite so far is the "Salted Caramel", but I think I need to try all of them before I make a final decision. Right next to the gelato is Eataly's Caffe Lavazza, located right at the Fifth avenue entrance. There you can get a variety of great coffee beverages, but for me a "Doppio Espresso" is all I need to venture off to the next part of the evening. Now we leave Italy and walk a few blocks over to France...

No comments:

Post a Comment